Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Mechanicals, Round 1

Well, the house is coming along, but nothing overly photogenic has happened. We do have plumbing:

Upstairs bathtubs!

I just want to turn on the faucet and have water. I don't want to know where it's coming from. 
And the duct work for the air conditioning has started!


And the framers finished building out their part of the double-sided fireplace:

The A/C guys are messy.

In other news, those doorknobs came in, and they are enormous. HUGE. Kevin put one on a door in the apartment and they just aren't going to work, as pretty as they are. 



Delilah was not impressed. Although, she is pretty difficult to impress as a general matter. 






As far as fun things, we changed the flooring in the master bath to wood, and I'm super excited. They are going to do it in a herringbone pattern. We were originally doing a white marble tile, but the tiles came in very, very gray, and the true white ones were either ridiculously expensive or looked like they had glitter in them. And I don't exactly "do" glitter. 

This was one of my "inspiration" photos, though this room has an awful lot of yellow undertone:




I am loving gray and brass in the kitchen lately. I can't decide if I'll do white or gray cabinets, and it will probably depend on what the lighting conditions ultimately look like in our kitchen. White looks best in tons of light, and it's starting to look like we might not get all that much due to the covered porch (small price to pay for a 10-foot-deep covered porch). In addition, Carrara marble, our countertop material, has a tendency to look very gray next to white cabinetry, and combined with our black and brass stove, I think a pale gray-green or gray-blue might look less stark. Kevin is so sick of me talking about it that he no longer cares even a little bit. Whoops!

We both do love these two photos. The first is a kitchen in a bed and breakfast in Sweden by Ilse Designs that is far more "greige" in photos than blue or green. I can't remember where the second came from, but I love the gray-green island color (shout out to the stager, though: who in the hell cooks that many artichokes, ever?). 






Finally, I'm in love with this super pale gray - this color is happening if we have enough light somewhere in the house. I pulled this off my phone. Which I apparently need to charge. 



Notice the wood floor? Love. 

Gray isn't all that popular right now, but seems to be coming in style. At the risk of our house looking "so 2013" I'll probably have to mix it up a bit. That, and let's face it: no good can come of looking like Restoration Hardware threw up in your house. 

That's about it on the house, unfortunately the really fun things like trim won't start for another few weeks. We are off to St. Louis this weekend to see Kevin's side of the family. Happy Labor day weekend and GEAUX TIGERS!



No comments:

Post a Comment